Re: [linux-audio-dev] MidiShare Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MidiShare Linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:06:36 EEST

>> Note that I have a more efficient implementation of a lock-free FIFO
>> for use where the characteristics of a ringbuffer are not desired
>> (i.e. you really are always just pushing and popping elements from the
>> FIFO). The ringbuffer implementation allows it to be used to store
>> streaming data efficiently, but is not so quick for simple push/pop
>> operations.
>
>Is this implementation available somewhere? I'd expect it to be
>applicable to the networking code...

both are written in jen-you-wine C++. no use to the kernel. however,
the folks from GRAME recently posted a summary/short paper on their
stuff, which I'll forward to you separately.

>Also, could someone tell me if the atomic compare-and-exchange operation
>is available and efficient on all platforms which Linux supports?

Nope, unless you want to exclude "historical" Intel platforms. There
may be other "current" architectures that don't include it either.

--p