Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Latency test (RTcmix/Linux)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Latency test (RTcmix/Linux)
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 22:38:11 EEST

> We did a streaming concert here a few months back with a similar
> setup. We raised the priority for our streaming programs but still
> left X running on both machines so we could "talk" back and forth.
> We experienced no glitches the entire time.

A little bit more information about the concert. This was done over the
Stanford backbone, one Midiman 1010 on each end, standard kernels, alsa
0.5.7, 100Mb/s network cards. Two soundfield microphones were the sound
capture devices. Four channel ambisonics encoded audio was streamed at
44.1KHz, no compression, from one concert venue to the other. Software
decoding was done at both ends and diffusion through eight (in the CCRMA
backyard) and five speakers (in the Fairchild Auditorium). The general
idea was to replicate the "ambience" of one concert venue on the other.
Interesting experience to sit at Fairchild and listen to the crickets,
birds, planes and - of course - music hapenning in the open space CCRMA
backyard...

-- Fernando