Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa gui recap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa gui recap
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 07:51:54 EEST

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >> (B). native api: support whatever toolkits you like explicitly
> >> in each plugin.
> >
> > in this case let's just let the plugin fork separate gui process (we
> >cannot forbid it anyway) and based on further experience we will see if
> >we need more organized support for this method).
>
> how can "the plugin" do this, when "the plugin" doesn't know anything
> about GUI's ? Remember, all UI's are initiated by the host.
>
> --p

I don't think this is totally implausible: the plugin
format in this case is an elf-binary-executable and a protocol for
communicating control parameters. The plugin would
generally be an x-client, but could be smarter, a la
xaos, which chooses guis on the fly.
(sorry, rather random example :)

It actually solves many pressing problems: interaction
of main loops and so on. The dsp-gui interaction protocol
would probably be quite easy to invent for a dsp-protocol
as simple as ladspa.

- dave

ps. in xaos i believe it:
        - looks for DISPLAY
            - checks for linux console + permissions to set graphics mode (svgalib)
        - uses curses interface
i think autodetection of libraries is really pretty easy;
far easier than supporting the library in the first place.