Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa gui recap

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa gui recap
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 03:05:54 EEST

>Hey, I'm just saying it is a possibility once we get
>to the phase of designing "gui-per-plugin threads".
>I wasn't even trying to mean a dlopen of an elf-exe,
>rather a fork/exec(). The gui-plugin (separate from
>the dsp plugin) would be an elf-executable, a standalone
>program that knew how to talk to a ladspa-gui-host over,
>say, stdin/stdout using the ladspa-gui-protocol.

right, but that implies that the host *knows* this, unless you plan to
allow the plugin to do the fork/exec itself (dubious).

my impression has been that the host plans to load the (g)ui (if there
is one and if it wants to use it) via the same mechanism as the plugin
itself. i guess this is not true of xml gui specs, so perhaps if the
plugin has a "native" gui, and the host decides to use it, it would
understand the idea that it had to fork/exec it. OK, if thats what you
meant.

it seems like it will soon be time for Richard to spring his "OK guys,
enough discussion, here's the API header" on us again :)

--p