Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk bandwidth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk bandwidth
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 17:13:23 EEST

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >all too often, lawyers have made companies anal-retentive about specs.
> >in the 75GXP doc, I can't find whether it supports a queue depth >0.
> >for Linux, that's not a big deal: disconnect is the real win, since
> >that lets us talk to the other disk on the chain. (and Linux already
> >does a better job of head scheduling with a queue of 256 requests.)
> >
> >37 MB/s typical sustained bandwidth (>35 as measured by bonnie,
> >through ext2). basically A Very Nice Disk.
>
> Wow! 37MB/s from one disk ? This is almost enough to make me abandon
> SCSI :)

hehe amazing how fast people can change their mind ...
:-)

Anyway what we need is better IDE disk drivers which fully support the
tagged queueing to achieve SCSI-like performance.

But if this is true ( 35MB/sec) , then
immagine putting 2-3 of these disks in a soft-RAID0 configuration:
you have so much disk bandwidth , that the CPU/bus becomes a Problem.

One more reason to buy SMP hardware.
Let's see when the first 4way or 8way SMP linux boxes will make their inroad
in the studio.
:-)

Benno.