Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk bandwidth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] disk bandwidth
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 14:49:27 EEST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Although strictly vaporware, I cannot resist, can't even remember where I read
> it.
>
> If you like reeeeeeeally great harddisk performance go for the new solidstate
> drives.
> 100MB/s sustained throughput, virtually no seektimes.
> They are supposed to be available at up to 8GB size. At which the price will
> probably be astronomic. Never the less :)
>
> Anyone knows who makes these babies? I sure can't remember... :(
>
> /Robert

But if the price /GB is comparable to RAM, then I would prefer to buy a box
with 8GB RAM ( x86 supports only max 4GB, but IA64 will lift this restriction).

Of couse you will need an UPS because in the case of a power failure ... s**t
happens. :-)

Sandisk seems to have some solid-state disks available, but I think they do not
offer such big sizes yet (the firm was an other one, but I can't remember).

Benno.