Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Recording Software Programming HOWTO

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Recording Software Programming HOWTO
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 19:02:20 EEST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>

Thanks for the comments.

>This is simply not true. If I am overdubbing, then there are
>situations where I definitely want to use the original file.

That belongs to the behaviour where user explicitly need to say
he wants that behaviour (switching "overdubbing" button).

>Well, its a judgement call. I would say that most people used to
>working with tape systems would say that it should be the other way
>around.

Old technology. New technology is better. I'm not trying to imitiate
old technology, besides you need to rewind the tape before you may
record over your previous recording. In disk, the situation can be
totally different.

>Why would you ever "delete" the overwritten file, instead of just
>truncating it to the correct length, and re-using it ?

Some programs may close the previous file, and open a new file.
When the new file is the same as previous, I guess the file gets
deleted first (unless some weird options are used in open).

Juhana