Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Multimedia compression

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Multimedia compression
From: paco_AT_hydrofunk.org
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 01:40:31 EEST

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Dustin Barlow wrote:

> to audio CDR or wav file prior to listening. I haven't found a streaming
> version of Shorten for linux, so I grabbed the source code the other day
> and am looking into what it would take to do it...shouldn't be to difficult.

Hey... this is fairly new. Somebody hacked XMMS so that it plays SHN
files directly. The relevant info is in the text below.

Note that you can also do this:

     paco_AT_hydrofunk.org%> shorten -x <file>.shn - | play -t wav -

from the command line to play a SHN without making the intermediate .WAV
file. It works fine, but you don't get a nice GUI or the ability to
pause, ffwd, or rewind the audio.

I ahven't checked out the hacked XMMS yet, but it's the talk of the town
on www.etree.org.