Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Recording Software Programming HOWTO

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Recording Software Programming HOWTO
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 11:25:00 EEST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>I would then say that Juhana, your attitude seems to me to display
>enormous arrogance. I am not arguing over new technology versus old
>technology, but over issues of user familiarity, usability and
>interface design.

Not true. I was only telling how the recorder should behave when
recording normally: not overwriting files. There sure will be more
working modes than that. My decision about the non-overwriting behaviour
is simple from the viewpoint of the recordist. The behaviour is analogous
to tape recording: tape doesn't overrecord earlier recordings unless
you rewind. What is automatic is the tape going to end of last recording
when the recorder is run.

That is the behaviour for microphone field recordings, for radio recordings,
for example. I should correct the text for multitrack recorder behaviour;
I didn't actually wrote about its working modes in my HOWTO.

>Thats not the question. The questions are: what do users *expect* ? What
>do users *want* ? What can programmers *give* them ?

I wrote from user's point of view.

>>When the new file is the same as previous, I guess the file gets
>>deleted first (unless some weird options are used in open).
>
>Well, if so, they are poorly written.

That's right. I will add a paragraph on this matter too.

Juhana