Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 23:02:04 EEST

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> I think you can't blame anyone who is working on open source software (like
> Linus does) for not being interested in your-favourite-feature. People are

  of course

> kernel) being not strong enough in the multimedia section, then doing some-
> thing about it (and contributing real work, and working with the kernel
> people to get it integrated) is probably the most efficient thing to do.

  what I meant is that this is relatively harder to do when it comes to
graphics/sound (that's my feeling from what I see in kernel discussions
and from what I understood from Linus' priorities), things are sort of
'not welcome'...

  I am not saying that Linus should start working on it but that if core
kernel developers would see that there's a lot of people wanting these
capabilities the overall attitude would change slightly, which would
help, I guess... I am not for pushing it onto them, more like let them
know/provide information.

  that's why I think a little bit of context info would help, even
though the letter itself is OK.

  also regarding the too much stuff in kernel that you mentioned: I
agree on that part, the kernel should only contain what is neccessary to
be in kernel, the rest should be in user space. nothing teaches you that
like NT:-)

        erik