Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] an open letter to Linus re: low latency
From: Jay Ts (jay_AT_toltec.metran.cx)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 01:08:50 EEST

erik wrote:

> IMO the good multimedia foundation
> (both at the dirvers level and user-space libs) is more important to
> acceptance of linux as desktop than desktop environment/apps itself
> (gnome/kde etc.). more important in a sense that it should be developed
> first and desktop apps should build upon it rather than each develop its
> own foundation.

I totally agree. My 'big picture' view on this is that in order for
Linux to become a successful (read: World Domination) desktop system,
the kernel developers are, as a whole, going to have to learn to view
Linux differently. They are very good with issues relating to making
Linux a good server. The thing is, there are other issues that they are
not as familiar with that need to be resolved in order to handle desktop
applications beyond Wordperfect and The Gimp.

> example: why is it that enlightenment has to develop its own sound
> server? kinda strange part of window manager...

That has been bugging me for a while too. I haven't had enough time to
really look into the enlightenment sound daemon (esd) but I assume that
the issue came up that a number of apps would need to play sounds, and
keep a (virtual) "sound device" open at all times. This is a big limitation
for Linux right now. We need to have something analogous to an X server that
can accept audio data streams from a number of applications, and act to merge
them into one hardware device. That, I think, is basically what esd is about.

If someone knows more about this than I do, by all means please comment.

- Jay Ts
jay_AT_jayts.cx