Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Recording Software Programming HOWTO

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alsa Recording Software Programming HOWTO
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 22:10:08 EEST

>While recording, the only option that is required is "replace previous
>take", which would re-use one or more existing disk allocations. This
>avoids silly and inefficient use of your "infinite disk space" - after
>all, its been centuries since Cantor pointed out the many classes of
>infinity, and it should be self-evident that the "infinite creativity"
>of musicians is in a class that exceeds the order of "infinite disk
>space" :)

My most recently completed composition turned into a 24 track 30 minute
thing that I recorded on a machine with a single 3.2 GB drive. I became
a file manager, and I must have had infinite disk space because I think
that such a project is otherwise mathematically impossible.

>Note, however, that my experience of DAW's has been that their
>recorder interface is confusing. Its rarely clear precisely what
>you're doing, you just have to sort of go "on faith" that you have
>things set up right (combined with the optimism engendered by a 100%
>non-destructive system). I believe that this is partly because of the
>interaction model they present, which is completely different from the
>one presented by tape systems. I think that the tape model is just
>fundamentally more in-line with the conceptual model of what the user
>is trying to do - the DAW model is more in-line with how the software
>is actually doing it.

I agree completely. I do have one piece of knowledge that you probably
don't have that has led me to the position of abandoning the tape
model. I have actually used one, and only one, program that is simple
enough to be usable and complex enough to be useful. The program is
Session by Digidesign, and I use it on a Mac Quadra 650 with a
Digidesign Audiomedia II card. This program (and the hardware too, for
that matter) does fewer things than any other audio program that I have,
or have used, but it is so fun and its features are so accessible that
it allows me to see beyond the current daw abstractions into a world of
impressive opportunity.

>I currently believe (or is it just "hope" ?) that its possible to
>combine the best of both worlds: the 100% non-destructive system
>(except when explicitly and easily over-ridden) with the interaction
>model of a tape deck. I will be interested to see if this is really
>practicable.

My belief in this is the reason why I use daw's. My recognition that it
has yet to be accomplished is the reason why I monitor Linux.

Tom