Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 21:04:46 EEST

  ???

  why not contribute to existing distro?

  maintaining the distribution is tremendous amount of work. the audio
part of it is pretty small. why not simply concentrate on audio part and
use one of the existing distros as base?

  about the only thing that's needed (other then applications) is low
latency...

  as for setup: turning off daemons that are not needed can be fairly
easily done in any distro, you can supply script to do that (even for
more than one distro). and btw most daemons just sleep when they are not
used, so who cares?

  I would say that the most effort should go into kernel level, mainly
achieving low latency and good drivers, because without stable drivers
(both in stability of code and stability of API) that are good enough
(alsa seems to be good enough while oss seems to be stable enough:-) the
apps are developed much slower. once there are drivers, we can continue
with the rest of framework + apps. that's just my opinion, of course, I
am not telling anybody what they SHOULD do...

        erik