Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters
From: Jim Coker (jcoker_AT_jguru.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 03:53:40 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >> john - can i sue you for patent infringement ? :))
> >
> >This would be really cool (not being sued, but if you or someone
> >else is actively going down this path to product ...) -- perhaps
> >the biggest hurdle would be getting LANs installed in the studios,
> >so that HTML-based rack-mount configuration can happen in a sane
>
> its hard to see HTML being used for whole bunch of stuff. i can
> imagine the system just booting and auto-configuring itself unless it
> failed. you'd use MIDI to control certain parameters. or something.

Knobs and buttons would be nice ;)

> but note also: many apps could really use a real screen, and putting
> it on the other end of a java-enabled HTML circuit makes little sense
> to me. not *no* sense, just *little* :)

Don't use HTML, use client apps connected over sockets using
(when possible) well-defined protocols. Java-based client
programs (*not* applets) are nice because they run on anything,
but some folks may perfer to use C or C++.

> i'm not *that* seriously into this, but the idea of building
> pre-configured "plug and play" linux power audio boxen has been
> gestating in my mind for some time. note: "boxen" *not*
> distributions. most of the email i get from people about the wavefront
> and hammerfall drivers have to do with configuration. i want an
> end-run around those kinds of issues.

I'm very interested in such a thing. I'd love to have a quiet,
very fast 2 unit processing rack that runs LADSPA plugins all the time,
without having to have a monitor and keyboard attached. The
real trick is providing suitable controls, either by creating a front
panel with a generic interface based on knobs, buttons, and character
displays, or using some other hardware control surface. The
closer it becomes to being an embedded system, and not just another
computer in the studio, the better.

Jim