Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime
From: Jussi Laako (jussi_AT_jlaako.pp.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 00:48:38 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> My take-home point; RTLinux is a fabulous piece of work. But it lets
> us do better than we need to at the cost of a bunch of driver porting,
> app redesign, and some learning, contrasting with the low latency
> patches which involve no change in app design (i.e code runs on
> dog-slow latency systems too, albeit poorly), no "porting" of drivers
> to a new "platform", and the chance to carry on as usual. ah, what a
> pathetic specimen i am.

That's a design issue.
Design HAL so that you can just plug-in different kind of low-level
implementations. Of course this doesn't fit everywhere.
I have RTL DAQ card module and OSS driver implementation in my own software.
And I am NOT saying that my design is perfect or flawless or something like
that. I KNOW that I still have a lot to improve... ;-)
I've just been trying to design it so that I can use almost any kind of
hardware with it. It has it's own special requirements like need for
accurate absolute level measurements and ability to control external
preamplifiers and filters based on input signal.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at: ldap://certserver.pgp.com, http://keys.pgp.com:11371