Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio
From: Jim Coker (jcoker_AT_jguru.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 02:08:41 EEST

Jay Ts wrote:

> John Lazzaro wrote:
> >
> > (someone else wrote:)
> > > One thing that is big on my wish list is a silent computer. I have
> > > heard that iMacs don't use a fan
>
> I heard that too, but my friend's Bondi Blue iMac (the original model)
> does seem to have a fan in it, judging from what he tells me, plus
> the air calmly blowing out of the vent on the top. It does seem pretty
> quiet - perhaps that has something to do with the fan being way down inside,
> and not blowing very hard.

I'm pretty sure the newer iMac's don't have fans. The
originals ones do have fans. My 400Mhz G3 powerbook has a fan,
but it never comes on (and I run the CPU w/o processor
cycling). I've also noticed that laptop drives are much quieter
than regular ones. The new Yamaha AW4416 uses laptop drives.
I am guessing that it is due both to lower power requirements
(thus a smaller, quieter powersupply), and less noise.

> Or just use a laptop... of course, then it's hard to find a good
> laptop that will work with your favorite PCI sound card. ;-)

Magma has some new expansion chassis' that hold 2-4 cards
and work w/ laptops thru a PCMCIA card. But they're rather
expensive (~$1400). They're very popular w/ ProTools users.

Jim