Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 03:33:00 EEST

In message <395A72B6.81F58106_AT_jlaako.pp.fi>you write:
>Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>>
>> My take-home point; RTLinux is a fabulous piece of work. But it lets
>> us do better than we need to at the cost of a bunch of driver porting,
>> app redesign, and some learning, contrasting with the low latency
>> patches which involve no change in app design (i.e code runs on
>> dog-slow latency systems too, albeit poorly), no "porting" of drivers
>> to a new "platform", and the chance to carry on as usual. ah, what a
>> pathetic specimen i am.
>
>That's a design issue.

its not a design at all. its a simple statement of fact: we can get
the performance we need without doing any work. then its followed by
an implicitly and partly rhetorical question: why do the work when you
can get what you need already.

>Design HAL so that you can just plug-in different kind of low-level
>implementations. Of course this doesn't fit everywhere.

you should take a look at ALSA. it essentially represents a HAL for
audio interfaces. its not small, and its not trivially ported to RTLinux.

--p