Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 01:15:17 EEST

Just ignore the SW-patents : here in Europe we have no problems, and if you
are unhappy with US patent laws, move to other countries of fight SW-patents to
death
:-)

I think that it will eventually happen (more later than sooner) that the US will
be the only country left "believing in SW-patents".

I know that the US is trying to persuade (ENFORCE is a better term) Europe
that SW-patents are a good thing.

But they will lose this battle (see german government which declared SW-patents
 dangerous for the future of the IT sector).

And developing a free sw project, why should you pay $$$ to the patent holder
when you make no money out of it, plus you wrote the code all your own
without looking at the patent.

And what makes me furious when the patent office allows IDIOTIC simple
things to be patented.
see the amazon 1click patent for example

or this from-disk-streaming stuff is just so simple that it make look the
patent office really ridiculous ..

and what does mean "realtime-low-latency triggering of samples stored on disk"

and even if the sample is COMPLETELY stored on disk without an initial part
in RAM, what happens when disk seek times get down to 1ms ?

Is then XMMS breaking the patent , because when I pressed PLAY the sound
came out of the speakers 3ms later ?
:-)

Plus what does mean realtime ?
guaranteed 100ms latencies is "hard-realtime" just as 5ms.

bah ... from now, let's ignore the patent issue and focus only on the technical
ones.

Benno.