Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 17:55:26 EEST

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>>Our application is nothing else than a audioclip player, not a sampling
>>synth.
>
>Then its more or less useless in comparison to Gigasampler.

The Gigasampler idea is **patented**. Do you mean we explicitly
want violate the patent? I'm ready to take the risk, but a court
case would take all your money. They would need only to threaten you...

We can avoid the risk by doing what I suggested. Then it is each
individual's own decision if they want to extend the system and violate
the patent. We can do the synth stuff for in-memory samples but leave
a narrow cap between the sampler and low-latency file player.

>Most of
>the developers on this list could cook up a reasonable audioclip
>player in a couple of days (given the time).

Time starts now! I will judge the quality. Don't forget documentation!

[ ... ]
>That stuff is much harder to write (correctly) than sample playback.

But the sample playback engine has to provide the framework for all
features. A simple player is not enough. Then there are those realtime
threads and so on.

Juhana