Re: Feedback in LADSPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?)

Subject: Re: Feedback in LADSPA (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: to maalis 09 2000 - 21:28:05 EST

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >Actually I think they are already supported, thanks to the fact that
> >connect_port() is as generic as it is!
> >
> >The simplest case: one plugin with external feedback
> >
> > +----------+
> > +->| plugin |>-+
> > | +----------+ |
> > +----------------+
>
> Why would a host ever do this ? Plugins don't call connect_port(), so
> the host would be responsible for this, and I can no reason why it
> would ever want to do this. Can you ?

If the plugin is an LP filter, and the plugin does process_mix()
rather than process_replace(), you got yourself a simple echo
effect. :-) It gets more interesting with more plugins and more
feedback lines involved. (Obviously, you have to connect something
else to the buffer as well, in order to feed anything into, and get
anything but CPU heat out of this construct. ;-)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'