Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: to maalis 09 2000 - 22:34:37 EST

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

[...plugins, GUI, toolkits...]

> Anybody have any insights ? I know that if we just required the use of
> GTK, it would be easy, but thats not going to make many people happy ;)

Well, I don't think that a special toolkit for the plugin API is
going to be a very successful project... There are just too many
different ways of doing it, and either way, it's a lot of work before
it gets useful.

An issue that I find more interesting and useful to solve is how to
interface the GUI with it's plugin (or would you put it the other way
around?), as the mustn't run in the same thread, and shouldn't be in
the same binary file. With MuCoS, this is virtually a non-issue, as
the plugin API itself could work very well for this. There would be a
soft/hard RT gateway between the GUI and the engine, and then the
processing plugins and GUI plugins use the same API, and are
connected through the gateway.

(The soft/hard RT gateway is actualy just some FIFOs with a
timestamp filter that aligns late events from the GUI, in case it
tries to buffer events, but lags behing occasionally. It makes no
difference to plugins - they just send and receive events on their
ports as usual.)

Now, how about LADSPA? What is the relation between control ports and
the "parameters" that a GUI would fiddle with? Is a separate API
needed to interface plugins to their GUIs? It *has* to be done in
some standard way that can be "gatewayed", as the GUI and engine may
not even be running in the same address space. (Actually, they
*shouldn't* run in the same process in systems with high demands on
reliability, as that would make a GUI crash take out the engine as
well.)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'