Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version -Issues Resolved?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version -Issues Resolved?]
From: Alexander König (alex_AT_rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de)
Date: la maalis 11 2000 - 07:24:13 EST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> I don't understand how this became a GUI discussion. If you don't
> know anything about the possible range of a control port, how can you
> use it? As floats are not normalized to any specific value range, this
> is even a bigger problem. I might want to control a plugin port with
> a joystick, oscillators, GUI-knob, whatever... in every case, I need
> to know the possible range.

Thanks! I was very unhappy when this discussion became a GUI one, but I
just couldn't think of an other situation where the value ranges are
required... Stupid me.. my own app is based on the idea of controlling
multiple parameters/ports with the mouse - seems as if my brain was on
vacation then ;)

> > float MinValue;
> > float MaxValue;
>
> Determinating these is suprisingly difficult. What's the MaxValue
> of an amplifier plugin? With my own API, I decided to replace these
> with "default_range(A,B)" (not absolute limits, but default min and
> max values) and "is_valid(A)".

Hmm. This is true. Your solution with an additional is_valid() solves
the issue for the API itself, but right now I don't see how the host
could use that information. I mean you map for example a joystick axis
to some control port - of course you use min-to-max mapping. Well this
is the host's problem I guess. But it might make sense to tell plugin
authors to use pretty high max values for cases like that.

> > float DefaultValue;
>
> This is good to have.

Yep ;) Users will appreciate this - if we don't have this then a host
might use the minimum value as default - now if that's a volume control
and it's set to zero by default the user wouldn't hear anything after
inserting the plugin - which may be annoying.

> > Or MIDI-CC control, oscillators, pitch->control_data, joystick, mouse,
> ..., this is definitely not GUI-specific.

Thanks again! :)

Alex

                            Alexander König - alex_AT_42.fht-esslingen.de
                                             http://www.terminatorX.cx

[From the Homer Quotables:] I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

-- Homer Simpson The Front