Re: [linux-audio-dev] Client/Server audio system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Client/Server audio system
From: Stephane Letz (letz_AT_grame.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:26:24 EST

>What about latency ? A timestamped approach seems ok in a context
>where everything is generated internally (like playing back dtd audio
>and MIDI at the same time), and would hide most of the latency.
>
>But if you are processing a external audio stream, would the latency
>introduced by this approach reasonable ? (context switch, call backs,
>etc )

I think there is already a context switch when a user space application
read or write the /dev/dsp device.
Also a plug-in based architecture would need to use callback. Having a
client/server based system would require context switches + callback for
all running clients.
I'm not sure at all that a system like that can work, but i think having a
time-stamped event based audio system +scheduler could be very interesting.
Of course a lot of question are not solved : synchronisation, memory
sharing between several applications...

I'm just trying to find interested people to discuss about that....

Stephane Letz

Grame: Centre National de creation musicale
9, Rue du Garet
69001 Lyon
Tel: 04-72-07-37-00
Fax: 04-72-07-37-01