Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update: Hints, Const and C++

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update: Hints, Const and C++
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 06:41:20 EST

>Does this all look alright to everyone?

Looks good. I still feel that we should learn from VST though, and
include runReplacing(). It seems really valuable, even in a RRSAPI
("really, really simple API").

There are a few minor changes in the comments I would suggest. First
of all, drop the terms "*-rate". Use "audio signal","sample array",
"control signal" or "control value" as appropriate. A reworded
paragraph that particular bothered me:

   Plugins are expected to distinguish between control and audio
   data. Plugins have `ports' that are inputs or outputs for audio or
   control data and the plugin is `run' for a `block' corresponding to
   a short time interval measured in samples. Audio data is
   communicated using arrays of LADSPA_Data (see below for typedef),
   allowing a block of audio to be processed by the plugin in a single
   pass. Control data is communicated using single LADSPA_Data
   values. A Control datum has a single value a the start of a call to
   the `run' function, and may be considered to remain this value for
   its duration. The plugin may assume that all its input and output
   ports have been connected to the relevant data (see the
   `connect_port()' function below) before it is asked to run.

The comments about STEPPED seem overly specific to me, though
the warning about rounding errors was good. Most of my stepped values
actually are floats, with float increments. I think if we are going to
include STEPPED, we should add something for "preferred step size".

--p