Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 16:32:36 EST

Hello. I suggested quite recently and twice (did my previous mails got
lost?) the following system:

There would be an opcode/instrument pool which has initiated
opcodes/instruments. When an opcode/instrument is needed it is taken
from the pool. When an opcode/instrument is not used anymore it is
returned to the engine servant who cleans the buffers etc. and returns
the opcode/instrument to the pool for reuse.

The pool content may change during the composition if we know the
upcoming schedule, i.e., no need to compute max number of opcodes
of a composition in advance, or such.

This should be fast -- at least there would not be any mallocs or
buffer cleanings when the opcode or the instrument is really
instantiated.

Comments?

Juhana