[linux-audio-dev] the GNU version...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] the GNU version...
From: David O'Toole (dto_AT_qwsi.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 16:24:07 EST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> as widely accepted as possible, then the initial design should be usable
> in as many projects as possible. It might not be such a bad idea to develop
> multiple APIs in paraller (MuCoS, LADSPA, LUGAPI (Linux Unit Generator

> API :)). When applications range from SuperCollider/Quasimodo -> mp3
> players, we have to make compromises.

I agree here; I'm not in the "One True Plugin API" school. I think I've
mentioned before that there is a GNU audio project similar to Buzz; it's
moving quickly, and there's just been a source release with API info
(and working code. some people are hacking more plugins as we speak.)

There is a link from the page at http://www.gnu.org/software/octal. Most
likely there will be another release this weekend with more
developments.

I've tried to take the best parts of the successful Buzz API, while
making some needed improvements. It's clear that this won't satisfy
everyone's needs, but for "monolithic" unit-generator based trackers the
Buzz API has already been very popular.

There's info in the tarball... check out machine.h and squaregen.c (the
example plugin) for more information on the emerging GNU Tracker Machine
plugin standard. (That's probably not its final name :-).

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ dto_AT_gnu.org