Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Quasimodo (Was: Re: LADSPA GUI)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Quasimodo (Was: Re: LADSPA GUI)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 22:49:54 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >> OK, so take the construction:
> >>
> >> if (variable) {
> >> output = some_opcode (arg1, arg2, arg3);
> >> } else {
> >> output = some_other_opcode (arg3);
> >> }
> >>
> >> and explain to me how to represent this in a "flat" format that is not
> >> essentially just assembler, i.e.:
> >
> >i guess this has already been answered.
> >namely, compute both branches and then
> >set:
> >
> > output = variable*branch1output + (1-variable)*branch2output
>
> yeah, i saw David's answer. But this has to be a joke! If some_opcode
> just added some numbers, then maybe this approach is OK. But if
> some_opcode computes a 2048 bin FFT of a signal, and some_other_opcode
> does convolution with an IR, this is way beyond absurd.

Intelligent engines should have a way of disabling plugins that
produce no output... However, that's a pretty long way around to get
the same effect as directly controlling what gets executed and not,
from some kind of module description.

How about making that switch a logical element that the engine is
supposed to understand? That is, the switch not only selects an
input, but also tells the engine which sources aren't needed, so that
the engine can skip them if their output isn't needed elsewhere. (In
an actual implementation, the switch probably wouldn't be all that
similar to a "real" plugin, as it doesn't do much more than shuffling
pointers and booleans around.)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'