[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Plugin Uniqueness

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Plugin Uniqueness
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 09:24:29 EST

I've been worrying for a while about uniqueness issues for LADSPA plugins
and thought it about time I gauged opinions on this.

The problem is: how should a plugin be identified uniquely. The current
mechanism uses filename + unique label which is a rather imprecise and
large key. It grates with my years of database design...

It works is fine as long as no two plugin files ever have the same
filename. We could use paths to get around this but this then becomes
machine specific and it becomes difficult to pass flow graphs clearly
between machines.

Solutions:

(1) Just hope that plugin file names don't clash and that people would
never rename plugins. (!)
(2) Have a centralised list of valid plugin file names, make it easy for
people to register stuff there.
(3) Use centralised plugin-level ID allocation scheme, make it easy for
people to register stuff there. Perhaps could use 24bits of plugin ID to
give some space for hosts to merge these with their own ID schemes.

Both (2) and (3) require a centralised list of what names & IDs have been
allocated. (3) is very much my preference and I'm prepared to host it at
least initially. Developers could email me and say how many IDs are needed
and I can allocate a block. Other approaches include posting requests to
the LAD list (annoying and still needs someone to collate) or automated
allocation by web page (I'm a little worried about abuse with this).

-- Richard