[linux-audio-dev] advice: jaz++, ALSA seq API 0.4 -> 0.5

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] advice: jaz++, ALSA seq API 0.4 -> 0.5
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 06:50:56 EET

Jazz++ has just come out in its GPL form, with CVS access to the
source. Alas, its authors decided to use the 0.4 ALSA API.

I can alter the audio part myself (actually, they use OSS for that,
but I'll rip it out and put ALSA in), but I want some advice on how
much has changed in the sequencer between 0.4 and 0.5. Is it subtle
stuff ? A complete overhaul ? More or less than the audio API ? Also -
is someone else planning on doing this ?

I am moderately excited about Jazz++. On the one hand, its a much more
polished and finished sequencer than anything else that exists for
Linux, and its authors are to be commended for going the GPL route. On
the other hand, the code base looks not so great; they don't use the
MVC model for the relationship between the sequencer and the GUI,
which means that fundamental changes will be harder to implement. They
also use wxWin to provide "cross platform" UI facilities, which IMHO
is a coward's way of avoiding the harder choice of a particular "real
toolkit". But to each their own, and I don't want to sound
ungrateful. Jazz++ will be a useful program, I hope, in the studio, at
the very least until we get a vastly better program, which could be
some time away. Its audio sequencing stuff in particular seems not to
exist in any other (at least vaguely finished) Linux program that I
know of.

--p