Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Finalisation Deadline

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Finalisation Deadline
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 22:57:06 EET

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:

> Anyway IMHO, Richard is putting too much emphasis on the SIMPLE word,
> and that can only hurt us later.
[...]
> I am for a small percentage of less simple but a big percentage more flexible.

It's not that simple. ;) In many cases, simple design is more
flexible:

        - using mono-plugins to simulate multichannel plugins is easy
        - you can always connect two mono plugins to each other
        - host that store multichannel audio in an interleaved
          format is a special case - referring (again) to the "mono
          vs. stereo" discussion, the conclusion was that for most
          applications it's better to keep channels separate

The only problem with all-mono approach is when channels form
logical groups (stereo, ac3, ...).

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing