Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with dynamic datatype and multichannelsupport released !!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with dynamic datatype and multichannelsupport released !!
From: Karl W. MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 07:38:17 EEST

Speaking of VST, I forgot to mention that MSP (which is heavily based on
PD) can be used as a VST plugin via Pluggo (www.cycling74.com). This is
relevant somehow, I just forgot how.

Karl

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> At the risk of repeating myself (and as if I care ;) -
>
> Much as I admire Benno's work on behalf of audio-in-linux, I think
> that this multichannel, multidatatype stuff is going way too far.
> People have written some truly incredible software for VST without any
> of these complications in the API. The complexity that it being
> discussed brings gains that are ill-defined and costs that are
> obvious. Yes, doubles keep more precision, yes, sometimes int32 is
> better than float32, and yes, sometimes we really do have an
> interleaved multichannel data stream. But the same objections can be
> raised about any API, including the much vaunted (and rightly so,
> IMHO) Unix IPC API, which comes with problems of data flow rates,
> latency issues and other "limits".
>
> An initial plugin API needs to be able to meet the demands
> demonstrated by the hundreds (?) of VST plugins, existing Linux
> "modular" software, and other relevant applications. It should not,
> IMHO, be trying to answer questions that we (1) don't even know if we
> need to ask and (2) have empirical evidence that lots of other people
> have avoided asking.
>
> So, as much as I respect his work, I have to say that I don't think
> that any of Benno's efforts from the past weekend should be part of
> LADSPA v1.0.
>
> --p

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| 410/659-8297 |