Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:09:14 EEST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 mlewis_AT_burly.com wrote:

> It appears that LADSPA is a single process architecture for routing audio
> (or whatever) streams in a transparent manner. Are there plans for a

Yes, LADSPA is "just" a function callback interface.

> generalized interprocess architecture (aRts, alsa, mucos?) that will allow
> for instance 4 processes:
[...]
> The ability to connect app->plugin and app->app would be very flexible and

Where were you when I asked about this a few weeks ago, both on alsa-devel
and LAD? :) Anyway, since then I've been experimenting with ALSA's
pcm-loopback, and it seems to work quite well. I'd see it as the
best alternative for audio routing at the moment. Also, ALSA's sequencer
API is probably the best platform for interaction between MIDI apps.

aRts/MCOP is another option, but my knowledge of it is limited.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .