Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI Issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI Issues
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 21:03:48 EEST

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, David Olofson wrote:

>>> 1) How do hosts convert data when needed? (That is, if not
>> They don't. This is why we have just a few format (32bit and 64bit
>> float). You recompile, load another .so file, contact the plugin
> Ok; maybe I've had to deal with too much closed source/proprietary
> crap before I started to use a real OS, but this attitude worries me

Hmm, here's my thoughts in a nutshell:

        - converting from format to another format is expensive
        - it's very likely that either the host or the plugin
          is open-source (recompiling one of them is enough)
        - if we want to support multiple formats, avoid conversions
          and avoid recompiling, either the host or the plugin will
          have to support multiple formats
        - we'd like to see lots of LASDSPA hosts and plugins
          (most linux audio apps should be able to host LADSPA
          plugins)
        ==> complexity is something we should avoid, even if this
            forces us to some compromises

>> a good thing. If everything uses the same format, everything is simpler.
> Yes. The world would be a lot simpler if all humans were alike as
> well...

Uhm, are you saying that we aren't? ;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .