Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 04:26:56 EEST

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >generalized interprocess architecture (aRts, alsa, mucos?) that will allow
> >for instance 4 processes:
> >
> >1. Software HD recorder with 8 tracks of output
> >2. Software Sampler with 8 tracks of output
> >3. Software Synth with 8 tracks of output
> >- into -
> >4. 24 channel Software Mixer with lots of plugins :)
> >
> >The ability to connect app->plugin and app->app would be very flexible and
> >very cool. Anyone know how this is done in the mac/windows world?
>
> A) I doubt that you could run the above in real time with low enough
> latency to make the synth playable from a MIDI controller. Although
> modern processors are fast, there are limits :)

Well, it could be done, if;

1) All applications sync to the 24 ch mixer, and

2) all applications use the same buffer size/cycle time.

Other than that, you'll have serious scheduling problems resulting in
unacceptable latency. It can be done technically, but currently, you
need RTLinux, QNX or similar to get away with it, since Linux
SCHED_FIFO has no time sharing, and hacking it in is complicated, if
at all possible.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'