Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA::runAdding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA::runAdding()
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 15:06:32 EEST

>How about a disk recorder plug-in which upon button press saves
>previous 10 seconds to disk and all upcoming audio. This is handy
>if you miss the beginning.

Augan have a much better way of handling this: gated recording.

>I think the point is that a plug-in can read input while not outputting
>anything. And can output more than is read for a given time-period.
>
>All these can be circumvented by making the host to do them, but that
>is sort of moving the problem to later. What I want is that I can
>build a working system from plug-ins alone -- like building something
>from Lego bricks without a need to mold even the base block for my
>building.

Look, at some point, there is an absolute start time before which
nothing is running, and after which everything is. If there are things
which produce no output for a while (the delay line is the obvious but
trivial example), thats fine. With things like ac3 decoders, these
guys will just need to do some startup pre-processing in their
constructor/initializers. There is no way in general to know how much
time a given plugin will need for "preroll", just as there is no way
to determine how much time it needs for "postroll".

--p