Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST2.0 , LADSPA1 and MuCos analysis

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST2.0 , LADSPA1 and MuCos analysis
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 15:47:18 EEST

>Basically the difference between VST1.0 and 2.0 is that
>2.0 comes with an event-system (mainly MIDI, but they allow
>generic events too) , support of timing functions (internal
>timing and SMPTE, MIDI-clock) which allows sample accurate
>MIDI/audio syncronization, support of surround (mainly they
>added a speaker-setup structure) and support for offline-processing.

VST1.0 did not have the vstGUI library, I think.

>VST2.0 added the possilibity for plugins to receive and send (send not
>implemented in Cubase yet, I think) , events from/to host.
>
>There is no way to send events from one plugin to another with this system.

But its clearly allowed for in their design.

>GUI ISSUES: VST2 provides a sort of crossplatform GUI library
>which they ported to WIN32 , MacOS and Motif,
>
>I think it's definitively worth investigating to port this lib to
>Gtk / Qt.

Underway. Or will be soon.

>Notice that VST is very tied to C++, that means writing a C-only plugin
>becomes quite difficult (maybe even impossible).
>With LADSPA it's easy to write C-only plugins.

Actually, VST is wierd about this: ultimately, the host uses a C
struct rather than a C++ object :)

>1) the license: Steinberg doesn't permit you to modify the API. ( similar to
>the old Qt license problems)

This is where C++ is our friend. We don't have to modify the API, we
can extend it by deriving our own class from the VST2.0 AudioEffectX.

I know that C is a better basis for the API, but I have a feeling that
it would be possible to wrap the C++ aspect for C as well.

--p