[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!
From: Jeremy A Erwin (jerwin_AT_osf1.gmu.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 19:43:15 EEST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> I added Linux Audio Dev list.
>
> Short summary: I found out that Alsamixer puts master volume
> to maximum when "Home" key is pressed. I find myself very lucky not
> accidentally doing so because the produced volume is dangerous. I have
> rather common Sennheiser headphones + SB16 audio card.
Let us suppose the following:
1. I have a SB16 (false, but assumed for the purposes of argument)
2. Instead of Seinheiser's, I use a pair of Grado SR60's (true)
3. The Grado headphones require more power than the Seinheiser's to
produce an equivalent sound pressure level. (may very well be true; many
of the Grado headphones are reccomended for use with external amplifier's)
4. I aquire a binary copy of your driver-- (false, but binary drivers are
installed with many distributions-- such as redhat)

It then follows that the sound coming out of my headphones at maximum
level is too soft for my enjoyment.

Now, let assume that I use earbuds which produce a higher Sound Pressure
Level than do your Seinheiser's. The artificial maximum will blow my
eardrums out, when I listen to the 1712 overture. Oops...