[linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Alsamixer: Dangerous Design!!!!
From: Andy Lo A Foe (andy_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 20:18:45 EEST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

[...]

> I'm planning to write a guides for writing a quality audio software
> but nothing really helps but put the limits to Alsa. When they are
> put to Alsa, user would be safe from badly designed software.

You can write guidelines but I think you should not start including cruft
into drivers just "to protect users from badly designed software". Instead
we should just point out the flaws in the software and have it fixed. How
do you find out at what level audio becomes "dangerous" for a specific
soundcard setup?

> Nonsense. Are Alsa developers now any less morally responsible if somebody
> hits the "Home" button accidentally and gets 300 dB to ears?

Nope, so why should we complicate drivers with an audio level
limiter? ;-)

Seriously, if you can figure out what the "best" settings are for my setup
so I don't injure myself in the process of listening to audio *in
software only* I would be quite interested in the idea.

Regards,
Andy

--
AlsaPlayer, http://www.alsa-project.org/~andy/