Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: [linux-audio-dev] info point on linux hdr]
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 03:35:51 EEST

On Thu, 04 May 2000, Mika Kuoppala wrote:

> After reading this thread, it occured to me that this tool might
> be useful for you guys, specially for iterating thru different
> parameters for IO benchmarking. It is called Threaded IO Benchmark and
> You can found it at: http://www.iki.fi/miku/tiobench
>
> I hope it is close what Stephen means by using multiple threads for
> writing.
>
> Feel free to use and abuse it. Its under GPL.
>
> -- Mika <miku_AT_iki.fi>

Too late :-)

I wrote two tools which give you more realworld figures in the spefic field of
HD recording.
hdrbench http://www.linuxdj.com/hdrbench
and a simple hdtest.c ( search the archives for the code) , which
compares access to multiple files, but using single and multithreaded
write()s and then displays the datarates in both cases.

conclusion: use a single threaded disk thread without O_SYNC.
If you have multiple disks, use one disk thread per disk in order to
maximize parallelism.

Benno.