Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update, New Project (CMT) & Help Requested

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update, New Project (CMT) & Help Requested
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 02:40:55 EEST

On Fri, 05 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi>
> >
> >>SDK. Hopefully your concerns about counting are reduced by this. [Hmm. Do I
> >>need to worry about this?]
> >
> >I think no. The common way is to check all descriptors, put them to list,
> >and let user interactively choose from them. They all need to be loaded
> >to software anyway.
>
> If one has 200+ plug-ins, one cannot wait for the program to load every
> plug-in for generating the catalog. A separate catalog program would make
> such catalog, and the audio software would open the catalog. The catalog
> would store the needed descriptor number and there would not be need
> to check every descriptor for finding the requested (by label) plug-in.
>
> So, the answer is still that there is no need to worry.
> Comments?

Well designed plugins should just return the descriptor, therefore you don't
do much stuff in the ladspa_descritor function. (plus the plugs are files of a
few kb)
That means checking out 200 plugins would just take a short time.
Plus the cache will assist you to speed up operations, thus
when loading the 200 plugins a 2nd time it will be even faster , since
it's all in RAM. :-)

I _WISH_ we had 200 LADSPA plugins available at this time
:-)

Benno.