Re: [linux-audio-dev] Safe-Ears/software volume

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Safe-Ears/software volume
From: Niklas Werner (nickgfec_AT_calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 19:35:48 EEST

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> The software volume is used only for monitoring and therefore it doesn't
> affect to the audio signal itself. The quality of original audio is
> maintained.

Yes, but isn't it misleading if you hear the compressed signal and forget
to compress the original data, because you already hear it thus???
Don't we (the audio enginieers) need a reliable way of monitoring (And I
don't think my audio hardware is reliable enough...)?

There seems to be a discrepancy between saving your ears from damage (I
gladly hear that you plan to implement something along these lines!) and
having to listen to the audio data as unspoilt as possible...
And cirumventing the "safe ears"-output to do the compressing/mastering
ends up in
failing to switch it on at the right moment.....

> In a wave editor for the editing purposes, the volume levels (as well as
> the waveform graph) could be enlarged automatically according to the maximum
> visible peak in the current display.

better higlight it in an ugly colour to remind the engineer that he isn't
hearing the original data

Have fun*

Niklas