Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: David Benson (daveb_AT_idealab.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 19:20:13 EEST

> The problem with this is that the gtk-arguments system is not, to my
> knowledge, replicated in other kits, including Gtk--. As a result, the
> XML handler would have to contain handlers for every possible
> widget. If we're going to do this, I'd favor fixing libglade to
> include an audio-friendly set of widgets, and just using that.

Oh yeah, I should advocate that!
I really like libglade...

I guess the reason I didn't is that it is hopelessly
gtk-specific. (i guess i feel i am too biased to recommend
that toolkit...)

> >Does this kind of reasoning lead to sufficient flexibility,
> >do you think? (i know it's full of little problems...)
>
> If libglade was complete and/or easily extensible, then yes, I can see
> the virtues in this approach - thats why I used it in Quasimodo.

Well the "custom" widget is the ticket to extensibility.
And libglade is pretty complete. (You'll have to do some
significant work to collect and interpret the signals --
but all the hooks are there in standard libglade)

- Dave

ps. gdam actually uses libglade, here is a little screenshot
     of the skin geoff's been making:

        http://www.ffem.org/gdam/images/screenshot-bluetone-wheel.jpg

     it has a nice contrast from the gtk+-style widgetry
     beneath the refurbished skin.

     Unforunately you cannot preview custom widgets in glade, sigh.
     (They just appear as boxes filled with the letter C)