Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: Stephane Conversy (Stephane.Conversy_AT_lri.fr)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 21:29:43 EEST

Erik Steffl wrote:

> it looks like the reason gui is so important is that some plugins will
> be audio/visual, not audio only.
>
> the visual part can be:
>
> A: part of core functionality (osciloscope) or

do you have any other examples like this one?

> B: simply fancy buttons.
>
> while we might ignore the B (not nice, but it might prove acceptable)
> we (IMO) should not ignore A.
>
> erik

no we shouldn't, but only if it's really useful. An oscilloscope is not a plugin,
it's a gui element that tracks the result of a plugin.

> Maurizio De Cecco wrote:
>
> > I still don't understand why the plugin specification should include
> > anything about the GUI.
> >
> > As the discussion prove, there is practically no way to do it so it
> > would work with all the potential applications.

I completely agree, I want to have plugins that compile fast, and without
taking care of any ui toolkit.
If some of you agree on a GUI toolkit, write it, but don't embed
the code into the dsp code.

Benno Senoner wrote:

> my thoughts:
>
> split the plugin into 2 .so files
> one .so for DSP work, the other .so file for the
> GUI editor.
> eg. filter.so and filtergui.so (written in gtk)
> The gtk-process will load the filtergui.so code
> and execute it happily.
> If the main host has to communicate with the
> editors, do this via IPC shared mem
> or using the shared memory provided by threads.

This is something better in my opinion.
Let the dsp code be portable, simple to compile, and simple to
access with my own gui. If you agree on a particular gui, make people know it, but

don't mix dsp and gui code (exception: gui hints), let others use plugins as they
are designed to: producing audio.

In sum: I want a ladspa.tar.gz and a ladspa-main-gui.tar.gz.

    stef

--
Stéphane Conversy
http://www-ihm.lri.fr/~conversy/