Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: Robert Jonsson (ddskrjo_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:50:28 EEST

First I'd like to say, dammit you guys are loud, I can't keep up with all the
conversation! ;) oh well...

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >Someone mentioned the beauty of many VST interfaces. I'm of the opinion
> >that the "chrome" factor is of zero practical importance. Am I nuts, or
> >is it really so important to be able to make 3-d chrome interfaces for
> >plugins? What if the user wants something different? What if the user is
> >blind? My thinking is that it's already secondary if it doesn't end up
> >on the CD you make with it. The primary concern should be user control
> >and audio quality.
>
> Except: I'm in interested in getting musicians and sound engineers to
> use Linux. When faced with the VST GUI for Freeverb, and the one
> constructed by gdam for the freeverb plugin (not that i've seen it,
> but i'm going on what it does right now with other LADSPA plugins),
> 95% or more of the musicians will find the VST GUI interface
> compelling, and the gdam one merely acceptable.

Someone pointed out that it would be harder to use plugins if all of them had
different GUI's. If you have a quick look at your "real" gear (I assume most of
us are musicans or the likes). How many of these machines do even remotely
resemble each other? I would argue almost none. Nevertheless, when you get
accustomed with them, they aren't hard to operate. My key point is that we
really should welcome "native/custom" GUI's for each plugin.
It is a selling factor, also gives the plugin an identity, and ofcourse can
vastly increase the capacity of the plugin.

Myself I have used Windows based music applications for a number of years (the
availability under linux hasn't been the greatest until recently). I must say
I enjoy a goodlooking plugin more than a bland looking one. TC Electronics plugs
have always attracted me because of this :) If my ears don't decieve me they
sound decent also. Oh well, who am I kidding, my ears will fall of any day
now....

/Robert