Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 02:07:37 EEST

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >> I think that we've established pretty much that the GUI cannot be
> >> very much more than this. Running the GUI in its own address space is
> >> crazy (I think) from an efficiency point of view.
> >
> >No, I don't think that it would be inefficient, because
> >you run ALL gtk-plugin-GUIs within the gtk-host-thread(process)
> >and all Qt-plugin-GUIs within the Qt-host-thread(process).
> >
> >That means if you run hundreds of plugins, there will be only
> >3 threads/processes active.
> >-the host-DSP thread which calls the plugin DSP callbacks.
> >-the gtk-thread which simply loaded all gtk-widgets of the gtk-based plugins
> >-the Qt thread (same behaviour as above)
>
> So, you propose to run with multiple X server connections, eh ? Do you
> know for sure that this works ?

Threads may cause problems because of the shared addressspace,
but separate processes ( the good old fork() ), will certainly work,
since they behave just as there were several separate applications
running. (communicating via IPC)

of course you have to fork BEFORE you call anything GUI related.

That means we have 3 separate "applications" ( = unix process),
where each one runs with exactly ONE X connection.
(how can this not work ?)

Paul, apart from this X-connection issue, what is your opinion about the model ?
I see non drawbacks from a latency/scheduling overhead / IPC speed
 point of view.

And I say it again , these gui features should only be used if strictly
necessary if the case of a really special plugin's GUI-panel.

(the key to success of this model will be to design the easy to use/transparent
IPC API which logically connects GUI and DSP part)

Benno.