Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI proposal
From: Karl JH Millar (kmillar_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 04:27:10 EEST

Paul wrote:
>Its certainly worth thinking about. I'll try do that. My main, immediate
>(knee-jerk) objection is that even though you've tried hard to make it
>sound otherwise, you're really talking about writing another toolkit,
>albeit one with a very limited set of widgets, and no high level
>support for extensions.

I've been becoming aware of this as I've thought for the last couple of days.

As a quick thought, I remember you mentioning something about being able to
create a gtk+ widget inside a standard Xlib window. If this works, we could
use gtk+ with some extra widgets as a toolkit for plugins, and any X host
could insert it into its own setup. I'm not yet seriously suggesting that
we actually do this, even if it is possible, but I'm throwing it out anyway.
Reusing a widget toolkit structure seems much more sensible than creating our
own.

Karl.