Re: [linux-audio-dev] extending LADSPA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] extending LADSPA
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 06:05:41 EET

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Tom Pincince wrote:

> This thread seems to go against everything I thought I knew about
> daw's. My guess is that individuals working on individual components
> are now looking to integrate with the works of others, but are still
> looking from the perspective of their individual apps instead of from
> the perspective of the integrating app, the host.

<reflection>

Meanwhile, I still have no real application, too many "good ideas"
and no API ready for use.

The reason for this is not only that I don't have time/am not using
the time at hand efficiently enough, but also that the countless
issues to keep track of makes every design decision hopelessly
difficult to make. (However, it's slightly faster to fight the Great
Battle of Features in a single brain than it is to do it on a
mailing list! ;-)

OTOH, maybe this is not all bad? If I had had the time to wrap up and
release the MuCoS spec back when LADSPA was released, the API would
still be suffering from some stupid flaws that I've since found when
browsing around the source tree, trying to remember the ideas behind
some of the code. Quickly writing up some 2k lines of code from
scratch, based on ideas similar to MuCoS also helped sorting some
unclear issues out. (This code will be released somewhere, in some
form, possibly just as an example of a "MuCoS Style" programming
model.)

The MuCoS API may end up too incomprehensible for mortals (myself
included) to use, too stripped down to warrant it's existence, or
just a big waste of time. In any case, I'll try to turn the
experience into something useful - maybe one or more APIs, maybe
just an application.

</reflection>

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'