[linux-audio-dev] normalize: destructive or non-destructive ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] normalize: destructive or non-destructive ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 16:35:47 EET

in considering how to implement "normalize" for Ardour's editor, i am
faced with a dilemma. if done non-destructively, this operation
*necessarily* results in a complete duplication of all data currently
making the sample stream for each track. it therefore seems to me that
this operation should always be done destructively. if i do this to
the recordings i'm working with even as test cases, we are talking
about copying 1.2GB of data just for this operation. in the real
world, we'd have, say, a 40 minute session occupying 12-18GB and would
be required to copy all this data just to normalize. Insane.

If necessary, it can be undone by knowing the scale factor used to
normalize, and rescaling with its reciprocal, but i would not plan on
automating that (it doesn't fit into the undo/redo/apply model i have).

opinions ? am i missing something ? oh, and before anybody suggests
it, its no help storing a gain curve for the whole thing. there has to
be one element in the gain curve for every sample, and since
sizeof(ARDOUR::Sample) == sizeof (ARDOUR::Gain), nothing is gained
(pun not intended).

--p