[linux-audio-dev] Remote control is important

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control is important
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 21:02:08 EET

Not sure where in the threads about Ardour etc this would go...

How many of you designing studio apps right now are thinking about
running the user interface(s) from a remote machine? I don't mean
displaying them remotely, I mean RUNNING them remotely.

I would really like it if that were possible. I don't have an SMP box
nor will I be able to for quite a while probably. But I do have a nice
little PII laptop that I frequently hook up to my desktop with an
ethernet crossover cable. I've been thinking it might help ease the
strain on the desktop (audio) box if I could run all the UI stuff on
the laptop. I can, of course, run all the X applications on the
desktop and view them remotely on the laptop - I do it all the time -
but then the desktop is still doing most of the work, isn't it? Unless
I'm completely misunderstanding the X client / server model.

Another good reason to support this: Remote control. Very useful in a
studio, and very useful in live situations too. I could bring the
laptop into another room in my studio (er, house) and use it as a
remote control for Ardour and anything else I want to run. This would
be essential for many situations like mine where the engineer is also
a player.... and I don't want to have to put the PC and everything
it's connected to in the same room as the band. In fact the PC should
eventually go in a "tape closet".

Thoughts?

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.