[linux-audio-dev] Selecting a new sound card

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Selecting a new sound card
From: James A. Crippen (james_AT_UnLambda.COM)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 00:20:30 EET

I tried all the links on "Sound & MIDI Software for Linux" (which is
excellent btw) and couldn't find anything both working and helpful on
selecting a new sound card. I admittedly have almost no knowledge of
today's market, and haven't shopped for a sound card since I bought my SB
AWE32 (a bad choice -- I bought the PnP version and ended up having to
muck with that for a few months until PnP support stabilized somewhat...).

What I'm looking for is clean digital and analog I/O, MIDI, wavetable, FM
synth. At least 16b 44kHz, but 24b 96kHz would be great if I can afford
it. I like supported hardware -- I'm not much of a device driver
hacker. I'm going to be using the card for ordinary everyday sound as
well as for creating and recording music. I may end up programming for it
if I love the card enough, or find an unfilled application niche. And I
don't do Windows at all. I'm not a professional musician, but I'm looking
for high-quality home studio equipment.

Any suggestions? Places to look? Linux-biased reviews? Stuff I should
mention? I don't want to spend too much (like more than ~$600) but I'm
flexible.

advTHANKSance
'james

P.S.: I'm not trolling for a flamewar here, I'm seriously interested in
what audio professionals and developers think about current hardware and
support under Linux. I'll be making a long-term purchase here and don't
want to get stuck with something that only irritates me and leaves a bad
taste in my mouth.

--
James A. Crippen <james_AT_unlambda.com> ,-./-.
Lambda Unlimited  Anchorage, Alaska  |  |/  |